skin and health
Currently there are four seasonal influenza type viruses and two are widespread in the United States. The majority of the cases are type A followed by type B cases. See below:
- Influenza A viruses -currently circulating in humans are subtype A(H1N1) and A(H3N2) influenza viruses. The A(H1N1) is also written as A(H1N1)pdm09 as it caused the pandemic in 2009 and subsequently replaced the seasonal influenza A(H1N1) virus which had circulated prior to 2009. Only influenza type A viruses are known to have caused pandemics.
- Influenza B viruses-currently circulating influenza type B viruses belong to either B/Yamagata or B/Victoria lineage.
- Influenza C virus-detected less frequently and usually causes mild infections, thus does not present public health importance.
- Influenza D viruses-primarily affect cattle and are not known to infect or cause illness in people.
Seasonal influenza (or “flu”) is most often caused by type A or B influenza viruses. You may experience symptoms of sudden onset of fever, cough, weakness in body, headache, muscle and joint pain, sore throat and a runny nose. Most people recover from fever and other symptoms within a week without requiring medical attention. However, influenza can cause severe illness or death in high-risk groups.
According to the CDC, high risk groups are children younger than 5, adults 65 and older, pregnant women, residents of nursing home, American Indians and Alaska Natives, and those with medical conditions (such as asthma, neurological conditions, kidney disorder, blood disorder, liver disorders, heart disease, obesity, weakend immune system , and lung disorders).
I would like to personally add that additional high risk groups should include those whose diets are highly acidic. Disease and viruses thrive in acid bodies. According to the late Dr. Otto Warburg, “An alkaline body can absorb up to 20 times more oxygen than an acidic body.” He found that diseased bodies are acidic bodies, which repel oxygen and attract the overgrowth of disease-causing micro-organisms. So what does this mean to the flu epidemic? Our body’s acid-alkaline balance is a key component to fighting off the flu and building a strong immune system. Raising pH (to an alkaline state) increases the immune system’s ability to kill bacteria, (according to a study conducted at The Royal Free Hospital and School of Medicine in London). Keeping our pH in the slightly alkaline range of 6.8-7.2 can reduce the risk and lessen the severity of colds, sore throats and bouts of influenza.The typical Western diet is an acid-forming diet full of preservatives and sugars and low in the valuable alkaline minerals. By simply consuming a diet high in alkaline-forming foods such as dark leafy greens (see ALKALINE food chart pdf ), and adding extra alkaline minerals and superfoods, you can change your body’s pH balance fairly quickly.
So here is how to put the body in an alkaline state and ward off the flu symptoms rather quickly: Note: This approach personally worked for me. Although I still had the flu, the symptoms of feeling extremely tired, having chills, and fevers quickly stopped.
- Eat an (click chart) Alkaline Rich diet or (click video) Alkaline rich diet all day and night when the flu hits you; say no to ALL ACID FORMING FOODS. My personal choice includes Kale shakes, baking soda and water first thing in the morning, spirulina, moringa and tumeric. For me, this helped me beat the flu symptoms (fever, tired sluggish feeling, muscle aches, chills, and loss of voice) in 2 days.
- Drink plenty of pure distilled water; no chlorine water!
- Drink lemon and pure distilled water throughout the day. Also, you can mix apple cider vinegar and lemon (to expel mucus quickly).
- Add organic Eucalyptus oil to a vaporizer and inhale it. This allows oxygen to enter the lungs and clear out mucus.
- Chew on some fresh ginger (not ginger candy but pure ginger). If you need to sweeten it, dip it in some honey or agave.
- Measure your body’s PH levels using a small piece of specially-designed pH paper (available here). Just place under your tongue for 5 seconds and take out. Your goal is to be in the green (alkaline state 7.0 and above). If you conduct the test and get acidic results (less then than 7.0) drink some baking soda and water (mix 1 tsp baking soda in a full cup of water and drink half a cup) and then test yourself again in 3 minutes. You can also drink a kale shake (fresh kale, almond/coconut milk, pineapple), and retest yourself. You will be amazed at the results.
- Stay away from Acid Forming Foods and drinks.
- Stay away from mucus and mucus forming foods
- Eat tons of alkaline / green organic soups. I personally like Pacific Organic Soups . Check out their Cashew, Carrot and Ginger and the Green Soup. Delicious. Add a tsp of organic virgin unrefined Coconut oil (after heating up the soup). Let the coconut oil naturally melt in the soup (after you heat up the soup). Otherwise, don’t cook the coconut oil.
- Say no to all preservatives, fried foods, and gluten.
- Increase Vitamin D (i.e. sunshine and cod liver oil) and C (i.e. lemons) and A in your diet.
- Incorporate herbs in your daily diet such as turmeric, moringa, spirulina, wheat grass, etc. Add them in a blender with Almond or Coconut milk and a fruit of choice for taste.
An additional item I incorporated into my healing from the flu is discussed here (click). I believe in fighting the flu like a War, you give it your all upfront. You treat it like your enemy has come to steal your “life.” Therefore, you don’t assume it is going to be an easy fight so you attempt to knock it out with full force. To recover from the fight on a daily basis, take mentholated baths and only use Healthy products .
This article would not be complete without addressing flu shots. According to CDC, they recommend a flu shot. See click. Do your research and determine if this is best for you. Know what is in the flu vaccine (click here). Get a full perspective of flu shots by viewing the conventional and holistic viewpoints. See Dr. Glidden talk on flu shots (click) and other talks about flu shots (click). Again, determine what is best for you.
In conclusion, utilize the healthcare setting to review, address and help to relieve your symptoms. But don’t forget to be responsible for the stuff that you put into body that can make a huge difference in preventing and fighting off infections. You are what you eat. Take an active role in delivering the proper nutrients to the body that God blessed you with by eating the proper nutrients for building and sustaining a healthy immune system. Go Alkaline!
Additional Resources via Topic:
- Alkaline diet: https://draxe.com/alkaline-diet/
- Alkaline Chart: http://holistic-pharmacist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/alkaline-food-chart.pdf
- President Trump Smashes Big Pharma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svilgXfppDo
- Mucus is the cause of every disease, Dr. Sebi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mNTpwmR49Q
- Study on Alkaline bodies: via http://www.meridianinstitute.com/newslet/Vol7-3/7-3.html
- Case Study that worked with the use of CS for lung disease–https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2443992/
- Avoid high sodium diet: https://draxe.com/top-10-sodium-foods/
- Adding Vitamin D to the diet : https://draxe.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-symptoms/
- Dr Otto Warburg’s work: http://www.doctorschierling.com/blog/why-everyone-should-know-who-dr-otto-warburg-was
- Take Control of Cold and Flu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRMViKQDn3o
- Futility of Vaccination (pro and cons) http://www.doctorschierling.com/blog/new-cdc-report-reveals-flu-vaccination-doesnt-perform-as-touted
- Funny and true video (minus the towel over burning fire lol): Apple cider vinegar to clear up mucus-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VdTH1ayp74
- Mikios Natural Body Scrubs www.mikionaturalbodyscrub.com
The author, Tamikio Bohler and owner of Mikios Natural Body Scrub, wrote this article after contracting the flu and alleviating the symptoms in just two days via the alkaline approach. The flu this season left her feeling like never before. It was as if the flu knocked at her door and when she opened the door with a smile ,(not knowing it was the flu), the flu grabbed by her feet, turned her upside down, and spun her violently around several times. After totally being off balance and feeling like life was being pulled from her body she reached for Green (and Alkaline) everything. That was the first fight that she won…BALANCE. THE ALKALINE DIET allows you to land back on your feet (quickly) so that you are able to fight the flu. She hopes that her information will help others prepare the body to fight off the flu symptoms rather quickly and recognize the relationship between what you eat and how quickly you heal. If you like this article, you can leave a TIP by simply liking our facebook page here. (click) Thank you for reading this article! Do Share 🙂
No, the saying “you get what you pay for” is not currently true in the cosmetic industry. Words like “natural,” “chemical free,” “organic” or products labeled by industry as “best products,” “best sellers,” or “best brands,” are not always true. U.S. Federal law allows companies to leave many chemicals off labels, including nanomaterials, ingredients considered trade secrets, and components of fragrance that contain harmful chemicals. As consumers, we are often led to believe that we are buying a very expensive product that will do wonders for us. However, we are often not knowledgeable about reading labels and linking ingredients to cancer causing agents. Although we may be purchasing a very high end product, we may also be contributing to the decline of our health by the ongoing exposure of chemicals on our skin that invade our bodies.
Be cautious when purchasing products and view the label (i.e. ingredients) in order to avoid the following toxic ingredients:
Perfumes and Fragrances
Just because it smells good doesn’t mean that it is good for your skin. Most fragrances are synthetic origin, many toxic or carcinogenic (causing or contributing to cancer). Fragrances affect the central nervous system and cause depression, hyperactivity, irritability, and other behavioral changes. The label of “Fragrances” can mean a multitude of synthetic and toxic chemicals. When looking for something that smells good, make sure it’s scented by essential oils.
This chemical is found to reduce sperm cell count in animals and is currently under review by the EPA.
This is well known as petroleum jelly and is a mineral oil used in various cosmetics. It has no nutrient value for the skin and can interfere with the body’s own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dryness and chapping. Companies produce petrolatum because it is super cheap.
Synthetic Coloring –FD&C Food Coloring
Color makes things look good but they may not be good for the skin. The colors are often synthetic colors made from coal tar, containing heavy metal salts that deposit toxins onto the skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Many synthetic colors can be carcinogenic.
This is a carcinogen that is prohibited for us in cosmetics in the European Union. It is found in dandruff shampoos, hair dyes, and anti-itch creams.
This chemical makes shaving cream smooth, but research links it to neuro-toxicity and neuro-developmental disorders, as well as to asthma and allergies. It is also found in nail polish, perfume, and hair spray.
Hair straighteners with formaldehyde or formaldehyde-like chemicals
Hair straighteners can contain as much as 10 percent pure formaldehyde despite the cosmetic industry’s own scientific advisory board opposition to this cancer causing agent and warning about formaldehyde-based hair straighteners. Companies that include this in their products are listed here (click).
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
This is found in things that foam. They are known to cause inflammation of the skin.
DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), & TEA (triethanolamine)
These hormone-disrupting chemicals are already restricted in Europe due to known carcinogenic effects. They were sited for causing cancer.
Causes cancer and is noted by the EPA as a pesticide.
Propylene Glycol (PG) & Butylene Glycol
These are petroleum plastics that easily go through the skin and may weaken protein and cellular structure.
Mineral Oil (i.e. Baby Oil)
This one ingredient is so common in everyday skin care products. It stops the body from being able to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. It slows down skin function and cell development. Stop putting this on our babies and use more natural items such as organic virgin coconut oil or organic virgin olive oil.
Article Commerical–Wow, you are still here reading. This is awesome. Do you know that the average person has an attention span of 8.25 seconds. It is an honor to have you on this page. If our information is useful, please like our Facebook page (click). We need to know people like you who read. (smile). Ok, continue reading below.
Despite the health impact of these chemicals, the United States has more than 500 products sold that contain ingredients banned in cosmetics in Japan, Canada or the European Union. In addition, nearly 100 products contain ingredients considered unsafe by the International Fragrance Association. Also, 22% of all personal care products may be contaminated with the cancer-causing impurity 1,4-dioxane, including many children’s products. Over 60% of sunscreens contain the potential hormone disruptor oxybenzone that penetrates skin and contaminates the bodies of 97% of Americans. Lastly, 61% of tested lipstick brands contain residues of lead.
Unlike the United States, the European Union (EU), now comprised of 25 countries, has more protective and stringent laws for cosmetics. In fact, EU Cosmetics Directive (76/768/EEC) bans 1,328 chemicals from cosmetics; the U.S. FDA has banned or restricted only 11 of those 1,328 chemicals.
One state that has taken a lead in banning chemicals from products is California. In 2005, California became the first U.S. state to pass state legislation governing the safety and reporting of cosmetic ingredients. Read about the dangerous specific ingredients here (click). As a result, the California Safe Cosmetics Act requires manufacturers to disclose to the state any chemicals that cause cancer or birth defects. This database is open to the public. The state took action on a company called Brazillian Blowout during November 2010 when it filed suit for high formaldehyde content in its hair-straightening products.
As consumers, we should assist the US Federal Drug Administration (FDA), the agency charged with oversight of cosmetics, by encouraging Congress to pass more stringent requirements. As of today, FDA has no authority to require pre-market safety assessments (that are often done with drugs, medical devices, and biological items). Therefore, cosmetics are among the least-regulated products on the market. The fact is that 89 percent of all ingredients in cosmetics have NOT been evaluated for safety by any publicly accountable institution.
Take a stand and get involved in creating a safer cosmetic line of products for the good of our people and the planet. Support companies that promote a healthy America. Support upcoming bills like the previous Safe Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Act of 2013 (H.R. 1385), introduced on March 21, 2013 by the late Reps. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill. and Ed Markey, D-Mass. It was designed to give the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authority to ensure that personal care products are free of harmful ingredients and that ingredients are fully disclosed. Although it failed to pass Congress, provisions of the Safe Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Act of 2013 included:
1) Phase-out of ingredients linked to cancer, birth defects and developmental harm;
2) Creation of a health-based safety standard that includes protections for children, the elderly, workers and other vulnerable populations;
4) Elimination of labeling loopholes by requiring full ingredient disclosure on product labels and company websites, including salon products and the constituent ingredients of fragrance;
5) Worker access to information about unsafe chemicals in personal care products;
6) Required data-sharing to avoid duplicative testing and encourage the development of alternatives to animal testing; and
7) Adequate funding to the FDA Office of Cosmetics and Colors so it has the resources it needs to provide effective oversight of the cosmetics industry.
Article Commerical–Wow, you are an awesome reader. We appreciate still having your attention. If our information is useful, please like our Facebook page (click). We need your likes. (smile). Ok, you are almost done this long article. I think that the author had tons to say.
Although the Safe Cosmetics Act did not pass Congress and become a law, companies such as Safe Cosmetics are diligently working to get like legislation before Congress. View their website for the latest updates on the Personal Care Products Safety Act, and continue to support companies promoting natural and chemical free products. Be sure to check the product ingredients for verifications and ask questions. Also, check for recalls of products that are found to be dangerous after distribution. With enough consumer complaints, they often land on the recall list. Lastly, realize that not all companies are buying into getting certified as Natural due to the pricing that goes along with the process and the information that must be shared about the natural product ingredients. Not all companies want to disclose “all” of their natural ingredients and not all companies trust those doing the certifications of brand secrets. Therefore, always always always look at the “ingredients” before purchasing a product.
Thank you for reading this article!
The author, Tamikio Bohler, graduate of Goucher College (BA-1990) and Georgia State University, (MPA-1993) has worked over 26 years at federal regulatory agencies such as the the US Centers for Disease Control and Cancer Prevention (CDC) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Such agencies provided her with knowledge about research, chemicals, health impact of chemicals, and the value of natural ingredients. Her use of her own products have also helped her to maintain great skin at almost 50 years of age. She is the creator and owner of Mikios Natural Body Scrub where she makes and sells her own line of epsom salt body scrubs that include Epsom Salt, Organic Olive Oil, organic essential oils, natural honey, and organically grown plant extracts. Ms. Bohler, a native of New Jersey believes that as American consumers our natural products should not cost so much. Therefore, her line of body scrubs (available to retailers starting January 2018) all come with free shipping, are large jars (1.2 pounds) at under $22.00 total, and only contain the best ingredients.
- FDA Prohibited and restricted chemicals (click)
- Study: Women of Color Exposed to More Toxic Chemicals in Personal Care Products (click)
- Consumers and Product Ingredients that Cause Cancer (click)
- Chemicals that should disappear from cosmetics (click)
- Facebook Page about Mikios Natural Body Scrub (Click) and brochure of health benefits (click)
- Website to order Top Rated Body Scrub (click)
- About Mikios Natural Body Scrub (click)
- Send a natural holiday gift with free shipping (click)
- Lawsuit over claiming natural at Whole foods (click)
- Products that are not natural but say natural (click)
- Attorney’s perspective of natural and the cosmetic industry (click)
Thank you…we appreciate your following, likes, and comments. Have a great day.
Skin Care is important because your skin, (the largest organ in the body), is your body’s first and primary line of defense against germs, bacteria, viruses, disease, and environmental intruders. The way you care for your skin determines how your skin looks, when it wrinkles and at what rate it ages. Many say that it is gene related, however, even a person with great genes who does not care for the skin will see some aging results.
As we age, our skin changes. Moisturizing skin with nutrient rich natural ingredients is so very important in the aging process. As we age, skin becomes thinner, sensitive to product ingredients and materials, loses fat, and no longer looks as plump and smooth as it once did. Veins and bones can be seen more easily. Cuts, bruises, scratches, or bumps may take longer to heal. Years of sun tanning may lead to dry skin, damaged skin, wrinkles, age spots, and even cancer. But, there is hope because there are things that you can do to protect and preserve your skin. The earlier you start with these practices the better for your skin in the longterm.
Avoid things that age the skin!
- Excessive Sun
- Tanning beds
- Harsh Weather
- Inflammatory Foods
- Excessive Alcohol
- Bad Diet
Make Olive Oil Your Best Friend!
- Add it to your bath
- Add it to your body while in the shower (after soap))
- Mix it with water in a spray bottle and splash yourself while at the beach
- Add it to your skin right before a workout
- Put it on your body before you sleep
- Use it to remove makeup
Incorporate Healthy Lifestyle Habits!
- Eat Healthy (Add more Alkaline Foods to All Meals)
- Minimize Acidic Foods
- Exfoliate your skin weekly
- Add foods rich in Omega 3 to your diet
- Wear Suntan Lotion of SPF of 30 or higher
- Wear Protective Clothing
- Commit to Using Olive oil or Coconut oil or Shea Butter on Skin daily
- Minimize chemical exposure and absorption when possible
- Clean skin regularly
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize Skin
Keep Positive Energy Around You!
- Minimize negative friends
- Eliminate “unnecessary stress”
- Make choices that are good for you mentally, physically, and spiritually
- Deal with stress head-on… by exercising your worries away
- Surround yourself with Motivational type people who encourage your growth and development
- Smile at every chance that you get
- Eat to Live; Don’t Live to Eat
Skin is a very complicated organ but taking care of it does not have to be a complicated process. Early prevention, healthy lifestyle habits, nutrient rich diets, exercise, and tons of positive energy will help to keep your skin vibrant and healthy.
The author, T. Bohler, wrote this article to spread the news about the importance of skin care and the simple things that can be done to preserve the look, feel, and quality of your skin. The earlier you start in the process the better. She has been using olive oil on her skin since she was 20 years old (over 28 years ago). In addition, as the CEO of Mikios Natural Body Scrub, she ensures that all body scrubs are made with olive oil.