Cosmetics: Do You Really Get What You Pay For?
No, the saying “you get what you pay for” is not currently true in the cosmetic industry. Words like “natural,” “chemical free,” “organic” or products labeled by industry as “best products,” “best sellers,” or “best brands,” are not always true. U.S. Federal law allows companies to leave many chemicals off labels, including nanomaterials, ingredients considered trade secrets, and components of fragrance that contain harmful chemicals. As consumers, we are often led to believe that we are buying a very expensive product that will do wonders for us. However, we are often not knowledgeable about reading labels and linking ingredients to cancer causing agents. Although we may be purchasing a very high end product, we may also be contributing to the decline of our health by the ongoing exposure of chemicals on our skin that invade our bodies.
Be cautious when purchasing products and view the label (i.e. ingredients) in order to avoid the following toxic ingredients:
Perfumes and Fragrances
Just because it smells good doesn’t mean that it is good for your skin. Most fragrances are synthetic origin, many toxic or carcinogenic (causing or contributing to cancer). Fragrances affect the central nervous system and cause depression, hyperactivity, irritability, and other behavioral changes. The label of “Fragrances” can mean a multitude of synthetic and toxic chemicals. When looking for something that smells good, make sure it’s scented by essential oils.
This chemical is found to reduce sperm cell count in animals and is currently under review by the EPA.
This is well known as petroleum jelly and is a mineral oil used in various cosmetics. It has no nutrient value for the skin and can interfere with the body’s own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dryness and chapping. Companies produce petrolatum because it is super cheap.
Synthetic Coloring –FD&C Food Coloring
Color makes things look good but they may not be good for the skin. The colors are often synthetic colors made from coal tar, containing heavy metal salts that deposit toxins onto the skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Many synthetic colors can be carcinogenic.
This is a carcinogen that is prohibited for us in cosmetics in the European Union. It is found in dandruff shampoos, hair dyes, and anti-itch creams.
This chemical makes shaving cream smooth, but research links it to neuro-toxicity and neuro-developmental disorders, as well as to asthma and allergies. It is also found in nail polish, perfume, and hair spray.
Hair straighteners with formaldehyde or formaldehyde-like chemicals
Hair straighteners can contain as much as 10 percent pure formaldehyde despite the cosmetic industry’s own scientific advisory board opposition to this cancer causing agent and warning about formaldehyde-based hair straighteners. Companies that include this in their products are listed here (click).
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
This is found in things that foam. They are known to cause inflammation of the skin.
DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), & TEA (triethanolamine)
These hormone-disrupting chemicals are already restricted in Europe due to known carcinogenic effects. They were sited for causing cancer.
Causes cancer and is noted by the EPA as a pesticide.
Propylene Glycol (PG) & Butylene Glycol
These are petroleum plastics that easily go through the skin and may weaken protein and cellular structure.
Mineral Oil (i.e. Baby Oil)
This one ingredient is so common in everyday skin care products. It stops the body from being able to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. It slows down skin function and cell development. Stop putting this on our babies and use more natural items such as organic virgin coconut oil or organic virgin olive oil.
Article Commerical–Wow, you are still here reading. This is awesome. Do you know that the average person has an attention span of 8.25 seconds. It is an honor to have you on this page. If our information is useful, please like our Facebook page (click). We need to know people like you who read. (smile). Ok, continue reading below.
Despite the health impact of these chemicals, the United States has more than 500 products sold that contain ingredients banned in cosmetics in Japan, Canada or the European Union. In addition, nearly 100 products contain ingredients considered unsafe by the International Fragrance Association. Also, 22% of all personal care products may be contaminated with the cancer-causing impurity 1,4-dioxane, including many children’s products. Over 60% of sunscreens contain the potential hormone disruptor oxybenzone that penetrates skin and contaminates the bodies of 97% of Americans. Lastly, 61% of tested lipstick brands contain residues of lead.
Unlike the United States, the European Union (EU), now comprised of 25 countries, has more protective and stringent laws for cosmetics. In fact, EU Cosmetics Directive (76/768/EEC) bans 1,328 chemicals from cosmetics; the U.S. FDA has banned or restricted only 11 of those 1,328 chemicals.
One state that has taken a lead in banning chemicals from products is California. In 2005, California became the first U.S. state to pass state legislation governing the safety and reporting of cosmetic ingredients. Read about the dangerous specific ingredients here (click). As a result, the California Safe Cosmetics Act requires manufacturers to disclose to the state any chemicals that cause cancer or birth defects. This database is open to the public. The state took action on a company called Brazillian Blowout during November 2010 when it filed suit for high formaldehyde content in its hair-straightening products.
As consumers, we should assist the US Federal Drug Administration (FDA), the agency charged with oversight of cosmetics, by encouraging Congress to pass more stringent requirements. As of today, FDA has no authority to require pre-market safety assessments (that are often done with drugs, medical devices, and biological items). Therefore, cosmetics are among the least-regulated products on the market. The fact is that 89 percent of all ingredients in cosmetics have NOT been evaluated for safety by any publicly accountable institution.
Take a stand and get involved in creating a safer cosmetic line of products for the good of our people and the planet. Support companies that promote a healthy America. Support upcoming bills like the previous Safe Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Act of 2013 (H.R. 1385), introduced on March 21, 2013 by the late Reps. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill. and Ed Markey, D-Mass. It was designed to give the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authority to ensure that personal care products are free of harmful ingredients and that ingredients are fully disclosed. Although it failed to pass Congress, provisions of the Safe Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Act of 2013 included:
1) Phase-out of ingredients linked to cancer, birth defects and developmental harm;
2) Creation of a health-based safety standard that includes protections for children, the elderly, workers and other vulnerable populations;
4) Elimination of labeling loopholes by requiring full ingredient disclosure on product labels and company websites, including salon products and the constituent ingredients of fragrance;
5) Worker access to information about unsafe chemicals in personal care products;
6) Required data-sharing to avoid duplicative testing and encourage the development of alternatives to animal testing; and
7) Adequate funding to the FDA Office of Cosmetics and Colors so it has the resources it needs to provide effective oversight of the cosmetics industry.
Article Commerical–Wow, you are an awesome reader. We appreciate still having your attention. If our information is useful, please like our Facebook page (click). We need your likes. (smile). Ok, you are almost done this long article. I think that the author had tons to say.
Although the Safe Cosmetics Act did not pass Congress and become a law, companies such as Safe Cosmetics are diligently working to get like legislation before Congress. View their website for the latest updates on the Personal Care Products Safety Act, and continue to support companies promoting natural and chemical free products. Be sure to check the product ingredients for verifications and ask questions. Also, check for recalls of products that are found to be dangerous after distribution. With enough consumer complaints, they often land on the recall list. Lastly, realize that not all companies are buying into getting certified as Natural due to the pricing that goes along with the process and the information that must be shared about the natural product ingredients. Not all companies want to disclose “all” of their natural ingredients and not all companies trust those doing the certifications of brand secrets. Therefore, always always always look at the “ingredients” before purchasing a product.
Thank you for reading this article!
The author, Tamikio Bohler, graduate of Goucher College (BA-1990) and Georgia State University, (MPA-1993) has worked over 26 years at federal regulatory agencies such as the the US Centers for Disease Control and Cancer Prevention (CDC) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Such agencies provided her with knowledge about research, chemicals, health impact of chemicals, and the value of natural ingredients. Her use of her own products have also helped her to maintain great skin at almost 50 years of age. She is the creator and owner of Mikios Natural Body Scrub where she makes and sells her own line of epsom salt body scrubs that include Epsom Salt, Organic Olive Oil, organic essential oils, natural honey, and organically grown plant extracts. Ms. Bohler, a native of New Jersey believes that as American consumers our natural products should not cost so much. Therefore, her line of body scrubs (available to retailers starting January 2018) all come with free shipping, are large jars (1.2 pounds) at under $22.00 total, and only contain the best ingredients.
- FDA Prohibited and restricted chemicals (click)
- Study: Women of Color Exposed to More Toxic Chemicals in Personal Care Products (click)
- Consumers and Product Ingredients that Cause Cancer (click)
- Chemicals that should disappear from cosmetics (click)
- Facebook Page about Mikios Natural Body Scrub (Click) and brochure of health benefits (click)
- Website to order Top Rated Body Scrub (click)
- About Mikios Natural Body Scrub (click)
- Send a natural holiday gift with free shipping (click)
- Lawsuit over claiming natural at Whole foods (click)
- Products that are not natural but say natural (click)
- Attorney’s perspective of natural and the cosmetic industry (click)
Thank you…we appreciate your following, likes, and comments. Have a great day.
Don’t Let Cancer Steal Your Life!–September: Ovarian Cancer Awareness and Childhood Obesity Awareness Month. (Share Article / Promote a Healthy America)
Cancer is defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC) as a disease in which cells in the body grow out of control. Cancer is always named for the part of the body where it starts, even if it spreads to other body parts later.
Childhood Obesity: In the United States, Childhood obesity is a serious problem. Children and adolescents aged 2-19 years shows a prevalence of obesity has remained fairly stable at about 17% and affects about 12.7 million children and adolescents.
Ovarian Cancer: Ovarian cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system. However, treatment works best when the cancer is found in the early stages. Therefore going to the doctor for any female issues is very important to catching it early. Signs and Symptoms according to the US CDC are listed below:
- Vaginal bleeding or discharge from your vagina that is not normal for you.
- Pain in the pelvic or abdominal area (the area below your stomach and between your hip bones).
- Bloating, which is when the area below your stomach swells or feels full.
- Feeling full quickly while eating.
- A change in your bathroom habits, such as having to pass urine very badly or very often, constipation, or diarrhea.
- Pay attention to your body, and know what is normal for you. The earlier ovarian cancer is found and treated, the more likely treatment will be effective.
Don’t Let Cancer Steal Your Life! Recognize how Diet, Health, Nutrition and Food play a valuable role in your health. Cancer and disease according to Dr. Sebi “finds it genesis when and where the mucous membrane has been compromised. For example, if there is excess mucous in the bronchial tubes, the disease is Bronchitis; if it is in the lungs, the disease is Pneumonia; in the pancreatic duct, it is Diabetes; in the joints Arthritis.”
Below are some very useful website links that are a must read for anyone interested in health:
- Alkaline Approach to treat Cancer
- Cancer the forbidden Cures:
- 40 Foods that Destroy Cancer:
- Reversal of disease and cancer:
- Dr. Sebi, Medical Prodigy:
- Kill Cancer:
- Tumeric as Medicine
- Aloe Vera Juice Health Benefits:
- Make Aloe Vera Juice at Home:
- Dr. Sebi Nutritional Guide: http://www.naturallifeenergy.com/alkaline-producing-mucus-reducing-nutrional-guide/
- Research on Tumeric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2AZOMu0bVA (Buy from local farmers market and make a tea out of it).
- Childhood Obesity: US CDC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx-65SaGlKI
- Breast and Ovarian Cancer: US CDC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ICMhWLaSJM
- Ovarian Cancer Survivor: US CDC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WidG-OKVkq4
- SkinnTastic, A kickass face Cream by Mikios Natural Body Scrub
- The Man Who Cured All Diseases: http://soulspottv.com/blog/man-found-cures-for-all-diseases-and-has-the-supreme-court-ruling-to-prove-it/
- Dr. Sebi on LiveLeak: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a1_1343602546
In His Memory:
- Dr. Sebi’s Presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVqEfXJHVc
- Dr. Sebi on the Rock Newman Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx6_073GDkQ
- Dr. Sebi Presentaion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZwxRB0ySs
- The Man Who Cured All Diseases: http://soulspottv.com/blog/man-found-cures-for-all-diseases-and-has-the-supreme-court-ruling-to-prove-it/
The author, T. Bohler, and owner of Mikios Natural Body Scrub, observes and supports health months in order to promote a Healthy America. Healthy ingredients, healthy products, healthy foods and healthy choices creates the groundwork for a Healthy America.
Informational Video about Top Body Scrub
Informational Video about Mikios Natural Body Scrub.
Black Friday Sale – We Will Gift Wrap Your Purchase For Free
Go to Our Website on November 27, 2015 and place your order and receive (automatic) free gift wrapping on all purchases. We make shopping Easy for the Christmas Holiday!
Orders Must Be Placed on November 27, 2015
Introducing our first Natural Aphrodisiac Body Scrub, Jasmine by Mikios Natural Body Scrub
Let Our Jasmine Body Scrub Bring You the Joy That You Deserve!
- Exfoliate, Cleanse, and Fall In Love With Yourself AND Your loved One
- Moisturize Your Skin
- Relax and Enjoy the Fragrance of the Essential Jasmine Oil
- Calm Your Nerves
- Restore Skin moisture and elasticity
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles
Great Skin Care Tips to Preserve Skin
Did you know that your skin plays a vital role in your life. It not only protects your organs but it controls your temperature and is the first thing that people see when they see you.
Avoid things that age the skin:
- Excessive Sun
- Tanning beds
- Harsh Weather
- Inflammatory Foods
- Excessive Alcohol
- Bad Diet
Things You Should be Doing to Preserve Your skin:
- Eat Healthy (Add more Alkaline Foods to All Meals)
- Minimize Acidic Foods
- Exfoliate your skin weekly
- Add foods rich in Omega 3 to your diet
- Wear Suntan Lotion of SPF of 30 or higher
- Wear Protective Clothing
- Commit to Using Olive oil or Coconut oil or Shea Butter on Skin daily
- Minimize chemical exposure and absorption when possible
- Clean skin regularly
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize Skin
No, You Can’t Eat Them, But You Sure Can Wear Them!
The National Cancer Institute stated that preliminary research in lab animals has shown that “antioxidants help prevent the free radical damage that is associated with cancer.” Increased antioxidants in the body help slow the process of aging, and may even increase longevity. The following is a short-list of antioxidant-rich Foods ( to eat raw). Try to incorporate as many as possible into your daily diet.
Hey, while your at it, lather some on your body by taking advantage of our body scrubs that all contain the antioxidants–Olive Oil, HONEY, and Coconut oil. Topically applied antioxidants can work to prevent the occurrence and reduce the severity of UV-induced skin damage and skin aging. Antioxidants such as olive oil, HONEY, and coconut oil all protect skin cells against the damaging effects of reactive oxygen species (ROS), such as singlet oxygen, superoxide, peroxyl radicals, hydroxyl radicals, and peroxynitrite. So if your body is in need of antioxidants check out our body scrubs at http://www.shop.mikionaturalbodyscrub.com. No, you can’t eat them, but you sure can wear them!
List of Antioxidant Foods to Include In your Daily Diet.
- Olive Oil
- Green Tea
- Red Beets
- Goji Berries
- Acai Berry
- Coconut Oil
- Pinto Beans
- Broad Beans
- Wheat Germ
- Hempseed Oil
- Barley & Rye
- Black Currant
- Blood Oranges
- Sweet Potatoes
- Raw Nuts & Seeds
- Whole Grain Brown Rice